Evelyn Pease Tyner

EvTynerFrom an early age, Evelyn Pease Tyner developed an unwavering interest in all things nature and science. Born in 1924, in Evansville, Indiana, Evelyn Tyner has dedicated her life to science, environmental conservation and community activism, eventually receiving her Ph.D. in Biological Chemistry from the University of Wisconsin at Madison. In 1963, Ev and several colleagues saved a small, but rare plot of virgin prairie along Milwaukee Avenue in Glenview today known as the James B. Woodworth Prairie Preserve (owned by the University of Illinois at Chicago). Several years later Ev and several other Glenview residents became known as the “Frog and Fern Ladies” when they succeeded in saving The Grove, also located on Milwaukee Avenue in Glenview. Ev Tyner’s most recent “success” story was helping to establish the 32 acre Kent Fuller Air Station Prairie in Glenview, on which sits the “Evelyn Pease Tyner Interpretive Center”.   Ev and her husband David started their family in Skokie, Illinois, but moved to unincorporated Glenview to raise their family, which later became incorporated into Glenview. We are grateful for all that Ev has done to preserve open space in Glenview, and all she has done to promote environmental awareness throughout her career.