The Glenview Park District is one of thirteen partner agencies (including Deerfield, Glencoe, Highland Park, Kenilworth, Lake Bluff, Northbrook, Northfield, Wilmette, and Winnetka, the Cities of Highwood and Lake Forest, and the Village of Riverwoods) that support the Northern Suburban Special Recreation Association (NSSRA) which provides and facilitates year-round recreation programs and services for children and adults with disabilities. NSSRA has been creating an environment of belonging through play since 1970, and has the distinction of being the first Special Recreation Association in the country.
“We believe that everyone should have the chance to try something new. This means you have the opportunity to participate in any one of NSSRA’s nearly 600 annual programs, or that you have the opportunity to participate in one of the Glenview Park District programs with the assistance of an NSSRA Inclusion companion.
Glenview Park District program inclusion services are available to special needs residents no additional cost to the family. Inclusion services may include, when necessary, staff training, program modifications/adaptations, modified equipment and program observations.
Reasons to Request Inclusion Services
- A parent or family member recognizes that a participant would benefit from additional support in a Glenview Park District program
- Glenview Park District staff identifies a need for additional support, for safety and programmatic reasons, and communicates this need to the family
Requesting Inclusion Services
When registering for a Glenview Park District program for the first time:
- Check Section 3, Americans with Disabilities Act accommodation on the registration form to indicate that the participant will require assistance from NSSRA
- Once your registration form is submitted, the Glenview Park District will contact you to discuss the type of inclusion support needed for the participant
- The park district will provide NSSRA with an inclusion request that contains both program and participant information
- You will be contacted by NSSRA to discuss the needs of the participant and get input on the type of support required
- NSSRA will work with the park district to put the necessary inclusion accommodations in place for participation in the desired program(s)
- Communication between you, NSSRA, Glenview Park District staff continues throughout the inclusion process
For more information regarding Glenview Park District inclusion services contact:
Assistant Director of Recreation
Glenview Park District
Manager of Inclusion
3105 MacArthur Blvd.
Northbrook, IL 60062